Ok so, in Sunny San Diego, CA, lately it's not so sunny. It's raining, It's pouring..the lentils are coming. lol So, I decided to make something simple yet hearty and have some bread on the side. My recipe for lentils is super simple and easy to make. I love lentils and so do my kiddies, but I'm still trying to win my husband over, little by little I guess.
1 package of Lentils, cleaned and drained in a strainer
1/2 cup-1 cup of Vidalia Onion ( white onion)
2 chopped carrots finely
Optional: 1/2 cup of peas, potatoes
1/2 package of bacon
2 Tablespoons of butter
1 quart of water
1 quart of chicken stock or chicken bouillon
1/2 teaspoon of each: garlic powder, pepper, and salt
1. After cleaning lentils, drain,strain, and set aside.
2. In the stock pot, melt butter and saute veggies, until onions are transculent Add bacon (chopped in small bits) give a quick stir, once or twice.
3. Add water chicken stock.
4. Add Lentils and let boil for 1hr 20 mins, check to taste tenderness, if not all the way tender, let boil for 8-10 mins. Turn off heat and let sit for another 10 mins.
2 cloves of finely chopped garlic or 2 tablespoons of garlic POWDER (not garlic salt)
1 Tablespoon Of Italian Seasonings
1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
3 tablespoons of butter
pastry or basting brush
1 loaf of french bread, cut in half
1/2 cup of shredded parmasean
Optional: Pesto sauce
1. In a sauce pan, make some garlic butter. Don't let brown. Turn off heat.
2. Add all seasonings. Give a stir.
3. Sprinkle cheese on loaf and put on cookie sheet.
4. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Let stand for a couple minutes then cut into pieces.