|Fettucine Alfredo with Chicken & Broccoli|
I started making Alfredo sauce through trial and error process, using Philadelphia Cheese, or Sour Cream (works, but doesn't thicken that much,) evaporated milk (works and is half the calories of cream) and lastly pasta water ( great substitue for all of the above) Finally, I found what makes an excellent sauce, that thickens and tastes like it came from a 5-star resturant. I hope you enjoy it too!
1 chicken Breast (cubed)
1-2 cups of steamed and cooled broccoli
1 package of fettucine
1/2 teaspoon of crushed pepper
1 clove of garlic or 1 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/4 cup of parmasean cheese
1 cup of heavy whipping cream
2 1/2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of flour *all purpose*
Salt & pepper to taste
Shredded parmasean for garnish
1. Boil your pasta, according to package direction (10-11 "al dente") In a separate non stick pan, cook chicken breast and add broccoli after chicken has cooked. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan on medium heat, placed butter and wait for it to melt.
3. Add crushed red pepper and flour. Stir to thicken. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. When the flour has completely been mixed add cream to bring to a running boil. When sauce is boiling, turn off stove top and add cheese in sauce and stir lightly.
5. Salt and pepper to taste, take saucepan off of stove top and set to cool slightly. Too much heat with break cheese and cream texture, giving a goopy sauce-texture.
6. Add noodles. Mix chicken breast and broccoli, either on top of sauce or on bottom.
*Chef Tip: To reheat the sauce the next time, add 1 1/2 tablespoon of heavy cream and heat*